Tuesday 13 March 2012

Cheesy Scones

Whilst I was in the Supermarket one day last week I was hit by a sudden craving for a lovely cheesy scone, smothered in oodles of butter ~ very unhealthy I know, but to be enjoyed occasionally in moderation!

I found some in the bakery department and popped them into my basket along with the rest of my shopping. I looked forward to eating this cheese scone all the way home. Imagined myself smothering it in butter and then sitting with my feet up and enjoying it with a nice cuppa. But this particular cheese scone was a BIG disappointment! Desperately lacking in any kind of flavour, rubbery in texture and heavy enough to sink a very large battleship!


Anyway ~ this morning I took it upon myself to turn these ingredients into some lovely homemade cheesy scones. This is what you need if you decide to have a go at making them yourself ~

175g self raising flour
a pinch of salt and pepper
25g margarine
75g of grated cheese
half a teaspoon of mustard powder
1 medium egg
2 tablespoons of milk

First preheat your oven to 220 degrees or gas mark 7 and grease a baking tray ~


Mix the flour, salt and pepper and mustard powder in a bowl and then stir in the grated cheese, keeping a little aside for the top of the scone ~

Mix to a soft dough with the egg and milk, again keeping a little aside to glaze the top ~

Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is about 1.5 cm thick and then cut into rounds or triangles ~ you should end up with about 8 scones ~

Place on your baking tray and brush with the remaining egg and milk mixture and then sprinkle on the rest of the grated cheese ~


Finally bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until your scones are lovely and golden brown ~


Smother your golden, cheesy scone in oodles of butter and enjoy with a nice cuppa ~ much nicer than any you can buy in the supermarket! :O)xx



4 comments:

Prettee Craftee said...

Oooh gonna make these! Thanks

Rustic Vintage Country said...

They sound and look yummy! suzy

HillyT said...

Arrrgh, you just made me hungry.... Now where's my cheese grater?

Gillian Roe said...

Oh they look so good. I love cheese scones but I've never made them - I will give your recipe a go. They have to be eaten warm so the butter melt, mmm.